Thursday, March 13, 2008



Marjorie Grace Patricia Bridget Owen (1911-2004)

Let's find out a little more background on Dee and how she made Mum's book a reality:

Tell us about yourself – where you are from, how you got started writing, what you do when you are not writing (or anything you want our readers to know)...
Mike's Mum passed away at the grand old age of 93. Mum, Mike and I
are British. However, Mike & I have lived in the United States for
close to twenty five years, Bahamas for two years and are currently
residents of Panama, Central America. Mum loved to visit America
up to her mid eighties, in particular California, Hollywood being one of
her favorite places. As the years went on, Mum found the long
journey from England to USA too much.


Mum wrote for her own pleasure, told no one and never
sort to be published as far as we know. When we found all her
hand written books and stories three years ago, my mission began.
I love to read. And it was a challenge reading, or should I say
translating Mum's handwriting. With Mike's help I 'broke the
code' and began typing all of Mum's works. This lead to Mike asking
me what I was going to do with all of them. So I said, “get them
published.” Simple to say, but not so simple to do especially when
you are not an author and have no clue as to how to do it or
where to start. But here we are ready for Mum's first book
to come out in print and two of her short stories already in
print.

Tell us more about Mum's writings.

Mum has written four books. Two are murder mystery and two
are romance.

As far as I can tell from all of Mum's writings, she wrote the murder
mystery books from her love of mystery, who done it, and the
challenge of solving the mystery. The romance books might have
been inspired from her own, somewhat tragic romantic life. This
I understand from little snippets of information she would
impart when alive, her only diary, and possible reference in some
of her short stories.

I believe Mum just loved to write and it was a diversion from
her busy work life. Mum was the head buyer of maternity cloths
at a major department store in central London.


So, how are you marketing this book?

Being a novice to the business, I have joined Yahoo book and
promotional groups. I have a blog for Mum's writings and Mike
and I have recently started working on a website. I have hosted
author's book tours on my blog and asked for my links to be put on
blogs and websites.

Do you sell through a website?
That is one of the things I plan to do, once Mike and I have
made the website, which is a learning phase, as all of it is.

Are there more books to come?
Mum's second murder mystery book is a sequel to the first.
If the first sells, I would like for the second to be published.
Depending on the success, I may look into the possibilities
of a 'ghost writer'.


How can we find out more?

http://marjo-mumswritings.blogspot.com/

http://pangirl.tripod.com/

http://www.vrpublishing.com/

Dee, thank you so much for joining us today and for making this wonderful woman's dreams come true. We look forward to seeing more of Mum's writings in the future!

3 comments:

Book Readers said...

Thank you Christee. That is a great introduction! Dee

Book Readers said...

You have done me proud! I really thank you from the bottom of my heart for hosting Mum's writings Christee. Dee

Unknown said...

You deserve it. I think what you have done for her memory is a beautiful thing.

Thanks for letting me be a part of your tour!